How the Majority of Victorian Sex Are Exposed to Criminal Prosecution
The majority of Victorian sex workers risk criminal prosecution by police.
Victoria ‘legalised’ sex work in 1994 but only in limited circumstances, but the term is highly misleading. Only about 20% of Victorian sex workers are able to work legally. The other 80% are liable to be charged with a criminal offence because Victoria’s sex work laws place restrictions on, for example:
- where sex workers can work
- who they can talk to and
- how they can advertise
Many of the safety protocols sex workers use are criminalized under existing laws.
Hundreds of separate laws and regulations place criminal penalties on sex workers and others working in and connected to the sex industry. The vast majority of these laws and regulations do NOT protect sex workers or the general public.
- use of the word ‘massage’ or massage-related terms is illegal in a sex worker’s ad¹
- brothel owners are prohibited from owning more than one brothel²
- no more than six rooms can be used for sex work in a brothel³
- if one sex worker works from home, their residence is classified as an illegal brothel4
Four specific examples of laws which expose sex workers to prosecution:
This law exposes all street-based sex workers to prosecution.
2. It is illegal for a private (self-employed) sex worker to use the word ‘massage’ or ‘masseuse’ on advertisements
Around half of all Victoria’s private sex workers are exposed to prosecution by this law because they provide massages and advertise this as part of their services.
This law exposes the majority of private sex workers to prosecution because they work from home at least some of the time. For some, working from home rather than doing outcalls is the safer option as they have much more control over their work environment.
For a complete breakdown of the criminal laws applying to sex workers, see our The Law: A Guide for Sex Workers page.
Are These Laws Being Enforced?
Most of the time they are not. Crime Statistics Agency data shows that over a five year period (2013 – 2017), Victoria Police laid approximately 500 charges against people within or connected to the sex industry. Even though these laws are seldom enforced, the existence of the laws make it less likely that sex workers, who have no/limited ability to work ‘legally’, do not feel comfortable reporting ‘real’ crime.
When society criminalises a class of workers, it reinforces stigma against them.
Last updated: 20 April 2019